Sunday, November 16, 2014

Lots to be thankful for

This weekend was wonderful, filled with so many fun activities that I could enjoy thanks to the Esteem. I'm grateful every minute of every day, but sometimes I am so overwhelmed with gratitude I can't stop my tears. After 3 surgeries and 5 months of deafness in the last year, it seems surreal to be back to myself. I'm having fun again and am not constantly stressed and isolated. And I'm thankful!

The hardest part of the back and forth hearing then not hearing then hearing, etc. has been trying to have a social life. It seems like every time I actually have one, I lose my hearing again. Life has been pretty lonely, but this weekend was wonderful because I got to spend time doing fun things with people. (Side note: I'm still shocked that doing things with people is fun for me now. Amazing!)

Friday light, I met up with my brother's girlfriend, Selena, to go shopping and have dinner with a friend of hers. We went to Rosa's in Visalia, which has always been really difficult for me. The acoustics are terrible. It was really tough to follow conversation but I finally figured out that turning the ear that is facing the noisiest side of the room down in volume helps.  I still had some hearing in that ear, but it cut out a lot of background noise. 

Saturday morning and afternoon, Selena and I had a big baking day. We made pumpkin everything. :)

Saturday night, I got to go line dancing!! Obviously, dancing of any sort is NOT something deaf people enjoy. I would never have been able to enjoy anything like this before, but it was a blast!! I had no clue what I was doing, but it was so much fun and the teacher was fantastic. I was able to meet lots of new people and only had one really embarrassing moment in conversation when I misheard something. That's not too bad. I didn't get any pictures, unfortunately. :-(

Then today, my church had worship by the lake. It was freezing cold, but it was a beautiful reminder of how great God is and the incredible way He has blessed me. I am just so grateful!



No comments:

Post a Comment